Hey, hey, hey!
I’m in pretty good spirits right now. It could be the yummy pull apart pizza bread I just had (left overs from New Years eve) :) or it could be the fact that last night I tackled a project that’s been sitting around in our cramped office for a year awaiting transformation. Probably both.
I’ve been wanting a hallway bench for quite some time, but could never find something that I liked that was in my price range (or at least the range I would like to pay). So what better way to get it than make it yourself?!
I took this $10 coffee table in all of it’s scratched up glory (sigh, that picture makes my heart ache for summer), and gave it a couple of coats of this:
I have been searching for a good fabric that had a pattern (much to my husband’s disdain. He’s not one for anything ‘wild’, but prefers things simple n’ plain), and found one I liked one here for $8.98/yd. I purchased 3 yards, which was plenty.
the great thing about the fabric was that it is stain & water resistant and is made for indoor or outdoor use; perfect for a bench to have outer gear thrown on it!
I slowly started collecting the materials for the bench which included:
- three 18″x18″x3″ foam cushion pads from Wal-mart @ $6 a piece – a great price for 3 inch foam!
- one 45″x 60″ Craft batting (@ $5.99, but received as a gift from my thoughtful MIL)
- a staple gun (I forget the price, but it was bought with a 50% off coupon)
- an MDF board cut to size (for free) from Home Depot (under $10), which was measured to exact size as the top of the coffee table
When all three pieces were taped together, it was longer than the MDF board, so I just eyed about an inch & used my handy new carve & serve knife from my MIL… it worked like a charm :)
with my husband’s help (that material needed some MAJOR pullage around the corners to get it taut & stapled in place), we started with the corners, and stapled our way around the edges (we found that the sides didn’t need to be as tight as the edges because it caused the seat to have lumps in between staples). We also made sure that the pattern was straight with every section we stapled.
We’re loving the new bench & I can’t believe how easy it was to make
(once I got it all pulled together!)
aaaand my hubby admitted that it looked really good (considering this pattern was not his usual cup of tea!). :)
2012 is off to a fantastic start!