With having a second baby, my husband’s office slowly started looking more like a baby bomb went off. It was clear he was no longer welcome with the impending arrival of our daughter. To compensate, we decided to build him an ‘outdoor office’ (aka. man cave, outdoor studio, insulated shed, the dog house when he gets on your nerves… whatever you want to call it ;). Although ‘the little house’ (how we refer to it) is complete, I thought I’d share the process which was done about 2 years ago.
When we bought our place, the yard (front and back) had seen better days. Well, I just say that because it’s a cliché, but really, there was no sign of better days… what it did have though were random piles of junk, weeds in excess, and patches of dead grass as far as the eye could see (granted, some of that junk was ours… letsbehonest).
After cleaning up the junk and ripping out a lot of the scraggly shrubs, we got to work mapping out where the structure should be built, and where the concrete pillars for the foundation would be set. After, we put wooden stakes in the ground to mark where 6 pillars should go (not pictured).
We then hired some guys with an auger to come and drill holes into the ground where the wooden stakes were, pour concrete into sonotubes, and stick anchor bolts in the centre. That guy’s hat made my day.
Here’s what they looked like after. The auger brought up a lot of clay and soil from underground, so we just smoothed it out with a rake, and cleaned up the scrap pieces of tubing.
Then my husband built the base of the house with pressure-treated floor joists, plywood and insulation (which I unfortunately forgot to photograph), then started on the framing (while I became a frantic psycho with all every screeeee the electric saw made outside my napping son’s bedroom).
The frame for the front of the house had openings left for the door and windows, which would be the only side of the house with windows (my husband has a strange discomfort when having too many windows… he assumes everyone is desperate to stare in and watch him).
We decided to have the front of the house be taller, so the roof would slant towards the back (sending any snow, rain, debris behind the house).
My two boys working away (one outfitted with heavy construction gear in the form of green tights, of course), and taking a break in between random dance-offs on this makeshift stage.
With the framing complete, we sent in our mini Roomba to sweep up. ;)
Over the frame, OSB board was nailed on, and the windows were installed. She was starting to come together!
For the doorway, my husband decided on French doors with clear glass fronts to let in as much light as possible,
which were installed (and soon discovered the wrong kind was ordered; he wanted the doors to open outward, but these ones opened into the little house).
With it completed, it’s definitely my husband’s favourite place to get work done (and is perfect for when he snores like a rhino, and I need sleep) ;) I can’t wait to take updated pictures of the little house and share it with you! Thanks for reading :)