the nursery reveal.

I thought I could hold off until the end of the week to share the final before & after of the nursery, but let’s just say I’m not the most patient of people ;)

Let’s jump right in, shall we?
So, when we moved into our new home, this is the room I had to work with:

It had terrible wallpaper, and the previous owners left us with a really sketchy massage bed (which we never used… or touched, for that matter).
And the door-less closet was nothing to write home about.
After many grueling hours of spraying & scraping while 8+ months preggo (here‘s some of the painful process), it received repairs to the walls, many coats of paint, and a lot of TLC.
You’ve probably seen a lot of pictures here and there, but I thought I’d compile them all.
{repurposing an unused utensil tray for itsy-bitsy baby products}

{a lot of ear’d hats. Our kid might wonder if we wanted an animal instead}
{so our kiddo isn’t confused – he’ll be representing Korean, British, Dutch, Indian, and of course Canadian descent. Kind of reminds me of this. Crass, but hilarious.}
I realized how my childhood days of playing Tetris had paid off because it was tough finding a space-effective solution for the big pieces of furniture (including the bed) in our tiny 100 square foot room!

And in total, this project set us back a little over $400, which is fan-diddly-tastic to me (we got a lot of the costly items made, refinished for cheap, or bought discounted). All of the furniture was bought off CL, and I tried to keep things as simple & classic as possible.

the complete list of our nursery:
PALI crib – CL purchase
crib bedding – custom made by MIL
change table – CL
change mattress – CL, covers custom made by MIL
bamboo dresser in closet – CL
floating shelves – Home Depot & IKEA (RIBBA picture ledges)
nursing chair – free off CL, slipcover from Sure Fit
cream shag rug – CL
baskets – IKEA (in closet), personal one from ages ago (large hamper)
frames – IKEA (50% off frames sale)
artwork – trafalgar square on Etsy, Children Inspire Design, & diy
alphabet frame – diy
bamboo side table – Goodwill find
glass lamp – Home Sense
faux sheepskin throw – IKEA
custom window drapes & rod – IKEA
bamboo blinds – wicker emporium
light – Home Depot
mama & baby giraffe figurine – a souvenir from a trip to S. Africa

As for the paint colours, we went with Behr’s Irish Mist for the walls, and the closet in Behr’s Aqua Breeze.

So yes, let me save you the scrolling, and remind you of where this thang began (sort of a before & after & before):

whew, after all of that work, maybe I should’ve kept that ratty massage bed! ;)
Have a great Tuesday!!

Comments

1. says

Um…. amazing. First, I don't know that I've ever seen a massage bed like that… so weird! You absolutely transformed that horrible room into something beautiful. I'm obsessed with everything… the colors, the furniture, the bedding, the little closet. It's all so perfect. Thanks so much for sharing!!! Such great inspiration!

2. says

What a transformation…I laughed out loud at your massage mattress comments! What a beautiful nursery…lucky baby. thanx for sharing…my castle doors are always open over at my "royal blog" for browsing. Tiff

3. says

What a beautiful nursery! Seeing the before makes it all the more impressive, and that you did for $400… awesome. I love the colors you chose, it's so soothing.

4. says

So many good ideas! I'm just starting to work on the nursery so this was great, I like how you seperated the clothes and the baskets!

Found you on Gingerly Made

Amber

5. says

This. is. amazing. I love the light color scheme with powder blue and gray. I love LOVE the light fixture.

Newest follower!!! Would be honored if you followed back at toddlindsey.com

6. says

Wow…great job on the nursery! Love how light and airy it all is. I especially love that frame with the alphabet cards in it–so cute and creative! Visiting from Frugal Friday:)

7. says

Beautiful, well thought out, organised, functional. You should be proud of yourself. A DIY very well done. I love every bit of this room, especially the world map print. Genius idea. Our son is a mixed bag between my husband and I. I might follow your lead and do this as a project. What a lucky bub.

8. says

BEAUTIFUL!! I love how light and airy everything looks/feels!! I'm 14 weeks pregnant (yay!) and we're moving into a house in 2 months – and we totally have the nursery in a similar "before" state!! Pinning now so I can come back later to be re-inspired :)

Found you on Today's Creative Blog BTW :)

9. Anonymous says

Spotted this on apartment therapy and had to get a closer look. Just lovely. Thanks for providing the paint info, that's just the gray I've been searching for. Congratulations on the new arrival.

• says

Hi Alexandria!
      the frame I bought from Ikea's as-is section and I just removed the backing & mat from it (which is all it came with). I then used that, and some alphabet cards I bought on clearance from Michaels to make it. I realized from your comment that I didn't post a link to the project, but now one is up under the list :)
      So, thank you! :)

10. Anonymous says

Beautiful! Heads for when baby grows as the layout may have to change because of little hands pulling on the curtains and change table. I am sure you'll find another great solution :)

11. says

Jane – what an inspiring nursery! I have been trying to figure out a light fixture solution for our future nursery and I really like the one you selected. Congrats on finishing up such a big project and on the growth of your family.

12. says

Jane, Congrats! You've been featured at Simple & Sweet Fridays for this inspiring post. Thank you for sharing. Don't forget to grab your button. Have a wonderful weekend!

Jody

13. says

You are featured this week on Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy! I hope you will stop by and grab a Featured Button from the Button Box on the sidebar this afternoon. Pinned. Can’t wait to see what else you’ve been working on!

14. says

It's beautiful! I think my favorite part is that you decided to leave the closet open. Such a sweet nursery! I found you on Show Me What Ya Got. :)

15. says

Beautiful! You did a great job, I would have never recognized it as the same room! I love the hanging birdhouses… and all your decorations for that matter!

16. says

That is an amazing transformation! I came over from Christina's adventures where she is sharing several neutral nurseries she loves. Seeing your before and after is so inspiring! I always wanted a nursery but we never had a room to make ready for one. A corner of our bedroom was as good as it got here! Your after pics look like something out of a magazine! job well done!