the ABCs of re-using a frame.

Happy Wednesday!!
Remember these little guys I stumbled across in Michaels ages ago?

And how I used them in 2010 for this project for a friend’s nursery?
Well, I’ve used the other half of the deck and an old frame from IKEA to make a vintage-y piece of art. The method was actually very similar to the Christmas project I did not too long ago.
First off, I started with this amazing find in IKEA’s as-is section (it had no glass, and was marked down to $1.90!):

I then started gathered these materials (including three packages of Christmas card holders from the dollar store):

After peeling the Christmas pictures off the pins,

I applied some mod podge to the non-glue-crusted side,

dipped them into the glitter,
and shook off the excess.

Then I let them dry overnight.

With the cards, I then arranged them in rows the way I’d want them to hang (not perfectly, but to give a general idea). I did this with the frame flipped over so it was easier to secure the string.
I then knotted the ends of the twine, and stapled them down, making sure it was tight enough so it wouldn’t droop with the cards.
And the rest was easy-to-the-peasy.
it hangs nicely beside the new shelving we put up in the nursery, which are holding the growing library of children books – classic & new favourites).
Getting excited!

Comments

1. says

Too cute.
    As for your baby bump post, with my first two, the only belly pictures I have are in hospital right before giving birth. So I'd say you're doin' pretty good. The chalkboard ones are really cute and you'll be SO happy to have them.
    I did monthly photos with number 3 for the 'ol blog, but they're just pics. Nothing cute like all the Pinterest ideas.

2. says

I absolutely LOVE this! I used to teach first grade, so anything educational and decorative is a win win in my book. What a lucky little one to have such a darling nursery! Have a great day!

3. says

Wow, that's really beautiful. I love cute alphabets for the nursery. I've just bought The Alphabet Book by Paul Thurlby (do you know it?), which has really lovely illustrations inside for each letter, and I'm planning on cutting each page out and framing it individually for our baby's nursery wall… The prints sell for about £50 each in the UK (where I am) but I got the book for

• says

Hi WIL, I'm not familiar with that book, but after 'Googling' it, I absolutely love them! The illustrations are adorable, and they would look amazing framed! I'm also quite stunned at the price tag, but I can definitely understand why (they're seriously artwork!) thanks so much for the heads up. I would love to incorporate this somehow into the room when the boy starts growing

4. says

I LOVE this.. So amazingly cute.. Featuring YOU tonight.. Thanks so much for linking to Pin'Inspirational Thursday.. Hope you stop in and PARTY with us again tonight..

5. Anonymous says

I love this but can't find those cards or "cute" alphabet cards anywhere :( Cutting a book will be my next option.

6. says

This looks so cute and I love how you put glitter on the pegs. You can never have enough glitter :)
    Im reusing a bunch of frames at the moment to create an art wall, theres just so many uses for the humble frame.