Sunday, November 11, 2012

diy Christmas bunting frame


In an earlier post, I mentioned a little bit about a potential new house my hubby and I were looking to move into. Well, after deals, inspections, some surprises from the inspection, more dealing, and eventually an acceptance, it is official;  we are moving into, and renovating a new home in about a months time (and not to mention I'll be having the baby in two months!)

Talk about a crazy whirlwind of events this winter!

Needless to say, I will not be setting up our Christmas tree (which really bums me out because I was totally hoping to be one of those crazies on the street that have it up November 1st). Instead, we'll be packing everything up.

So, to get my little fix of Christmas decorating before I pack everything away, I thought I'd share a little project I did using an old frame I found at a Goodwill, spray painted, and left to sit empty for about 2 years (and considering our hectic schedule in the next while, this saying might be needed every once in awhile!)

Using a lot of materials I already had on hand (including glittery letters from my wedding, and fabric from some project I didn't get around to doing), I started by measuring (which in my case meant 'eyein' it), and cutting out pieces of fabric.

Then I snipped one of them like so:

and used it as a general guide for the rest of the pieces... (I'm sure you could measure each of them out to get them exact - I wasn't as patient, so I just layered them and drew a dot for the point)

Next, which was probably the most painstaking part of all, was I measured out lengths of ribbon that would hold the bunting, made knots at the ends (to prevent them from falling off and me having to fish them through), and I curled the flat edges over and sewed them loosely in place.

This took the longest, but I didn't want to glue the flaps down and have it seep through the fabric.
The final product (yup, I'm not a seamstress!):

After they were all nicely sewn, I got some Tacky glue, and began glueing my letters in place.

When the glue dried, I carefully laid the frame face-down over a blanket on the floor, and stapled the ribbon in place (I used a heavy duty staple gun, as my frame was a hardwood).

When it was finished, I just adjusted the pieces of fabric to make it all fit in the frame (as you can see all is 'tight', not just 'bright' ;)

Now, with a little bit of Christmassy embellishments (and once again getting my holiday fix for the month of November):

The silver letters can be harder to see against the beige, but I love the way they pop off the fabric. 

I also added a wire in the back (a la staple gun) to see what it would look like hung.

It's alright on the wall as well (hm... maybe I need to buy tall candles to grace that empty space!), but that tight-'bright' is really bothersome!

Either way, this project set me back about $5! Not bad, yes?

what do you think? Up high or down low?

Well, I look forward to vicariously living through your holiday decorating as I bask in cardboard boxes and packing tape!


  1. Congrats and good luck with the new house!! Sounds like a fun (and crazy :)) project!

    This frame is such a cute idea for the holidays. Thank you for sharing!

  2. Hi Jane, greetings from Northern Ontario. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

  3. This really caught my eye. Love the glow down low. Gives me an idea for our faux mantle too! Thanks.

  4. So cute and sparkly! Love it! Newest follower! :)
    - April Hoff

  5. I love this idea - so pretty! And being able to use what you already had - that's my kind of craft! Thanks for sharing!



I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to respond and I look forward to hearing what you have to say!