Take exhibit A:
I got this credenza from my parents who said my aunt no longer wanted it (tracking with me?). It has solid bones, simple lines, and a WHOLE lotta dust.
Seeing as our house was no longer welcoming new stray pieces of furniture (my husband will have a canary if I brought another), it stayed in my parents' garage. It was a bit burdensome having to drive out there with (hopefully) all the tools, so I wanted to turn it around quickly without having to spend too much; I decided to be resourceful and use stuff I already had.
I started first with wiping the piece down. Then after removing the hardware, some of the more noticeable cracks and holes were filled in with wood filler, levelled & sanded down.
When the wood filler was dry, I gave the whole thing two good coats of primer.
I was always wondering what colour to change it to, but I decided to take a simple, classic approach and stick with a warm white.
For the hardware, I went ahead and bought new simple & oh-so-purty handles, but I decided again to keep this as cost-effective as possible, and just decided to work with the existing handles.
Take exhibit B:
definitely not the belle of the ball.
I even tried using Brasso on them, but nope. They stubbornly refused to be pretty.
So, I broke out the big guns: in metallic spray paint form.
Aaaand the final product (thought it would be more exciting with a before + after):
Before (with the front door open):
I wanted to keep the natural wood inside the drawers, and I loved how it looked against the white.
And the handles cleaned up well!
As much as I want to have it nicely in our living room with a mirror above it, tray with flowers and cool coffee table books on top, it still remains in my parents' garage... (hence, the lovely boxes in the background and cozy concrete floor beneath).
I guess some would say that picture's 'keeping it real'. I say it's keeping it ghetto, regardless,
not too shabby for a free credenza & free makeover!
Happy Monday everyone!